Swiss Cheese Onion Crostini
Monday, December 26th 2016, 12:59 PM CST
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow or white onions, very thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large baguette, sliced on the diagonal into 12-16 slices, about 1/2-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups grated Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onions. Cook at least 3 minutes before stirring (onions should start to brown before you move them around). Continue to cook, stirring only occasionally, about 20 minutes, until onions are soft and well browned.
- Add thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread bread slices with a little mustard.
- Divide onion mixture evenly over bread slices then top each with cheese.
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet; bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Per Serving: Serving size: 2 baguette pieces, 220 calories (130 from fat), 15g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 11g carbohydrates, (1 g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 11g protein.