Summer Baked Beans
- 1 2/3 cup (3/4 pound) dried pinto beans
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 3 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons German mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Sort through beans to remove any debris.
- Rinse beans and place in a large bowl.
- Cover with cold water by a few inches and soak 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain beans, place in a large pot, and cover again with a few inches of water.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until tender but not mushy, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together molasses, Worcestershire, mustard, tomato paste and vinegar.
- Add tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, garlic and beans and toss to coat.
- Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish. Bake until bubbling and vegetables are very tender, about 1 1/4 hours.