Game Notes: TU Set For Midweek Matchup Against OSU
TULSA (0-0, 0-0 The American) vs. #10 OKLAHOMA STATE (0-0, 0-0 Big 12)
Thursday, August 31, 2017 • 6:35 p.m. (CT)
Site: Boone Pickens Stadium
TULSA GOLDEN HURRICANE
Head Coach: Philip Montgomery (Tarleton State '95), 3rd year
Career Record: 16-10 (2 years)
TU Record: same
OKLAHOMA STATE COWBOYS
Head Coach: Mike Gundy (Oklahoma State '90), 13th year
Career Record: 104-50 (12 years)
OSU Record: same
• Tulsa opens its 118th season of football this year.
• The Tulsa-OSU game will be the 72nd meeting in the series, tying Arkansas for Tulsa's longest football series.
• Tulsa has the smallest FBS enrollment with 3,406 students, while Oklahoma State has an enrollment of 25,854.
• Both teams are coming off of 10-win seasons and victories in their respective bowl games.
• Tulsa and OSU have opened the season against each other just twice before, both in Stillwater … OSU won both games, 39-28 in 1987 and 10-3 in 1990.
THE TULSA-OSU SERIES
• This is the 72nd meeting between Tulsa and Oklahoma State and the 34th meeting in Stillwater.
• OSU has a 39-27-5 record in the series, including a 24-6-3 record at home.
• The Cowboys have won the last 20 meetings in Stillwater, with Tulsa's last victory on the road coming in 1951, 35-7.
• Tulsa's last win in the series came in 1998 with a 35-20 victory, after taking a 35-0 lead in the game.
• OSU has won the last six games since that last Tulsa win, including the last meeting that came in Tulsa, 59-33, in 2011.
TULSA IN SEASON OPENERS
• In the 117-year history of Tulsa football, the Golden Hurricane has posted a 68-48-1 record in season openers.
• The most consecutive seasons in which Tulsa won the season opener is seven, winning the openers from 1925 to 1931.
• Tulsa won each of its last three openers, all three at home.
• Tulsa won last year's season opener by a 45-10 score over San Jose State.
HURRICANE IN ROAD OPENERS
• In 117 years of football, Tulsa has only opened the season on the road 44 times.
• The Hurricane has a 14-29-1 record in season openers on the road.
• Tulsa has not opened the season on the road in the last three years … the last time Tulsa opened the season on the road was at Bowling Green in 2013.
• Tulsa's last season opening win on the road came in 2009 at Tulane with a 37-13 victory … Tulsa has gone 0-4 on the road in the season opener since that game.
THE LAST MEETING WAS UNUSUAL
• The last Tulsa-OSU meeting came in Tulsa on Sept. 17, 2011, as #7 Oklahoma State claimed a 59-33 victory.
• But it was the circumstances surrounding the game that was the big story.
• The game was slated for a 9:10 pm (CT) kickoff on FOX Sports, however, inclement weather came into the Tulsa area shortly before kickoff … lightning in the area continued to delay the game until it finally kicked off at 12:16 am.
• Tulsa took a 3-0 lead before OSU went ahead 14-3, but on Tulsa's third possession QB G.J. Kinne raced 23 yards to the 50-yard line and was hit out-of-bounds by an OSU defender … a penalty was assessed, but Kinne left the game with an injury, and replaced by red-shirt freshman Kalen Henderson.
• The game ended at 3:35 am, taking 3:19 to play.
OFFENSIVELY IN THE MONTGOMERY ERA
• In 26 games under Philip Montgomery, Tulsa has scored over 40 points 17 times and has posted a 14-3 record when doing so.
• Tulsa has averaged 39.8 points over the last two seasons, including 37.2 points in 2015 and 42.5 points last season.
• Tulsa has gone over 500 yards of total offense in 16 games over the last two seasons under Montgomery.
• The Golden Hurricane has gone over 600 yards six times under Montgomery.
• Tulsa has had eight 300+ yard rushing games in the Montgomery era, with all eight coming in 2016.
• In the last two seasons, Tulsa has had 91 offensive scoring drives out of 164 possessions in regulation under two minutes, including 31 under one minute … that's 55.5 percent of the time that Tulsa's offensive scoring drives have taken under two minutes.
• The Hurricane had four 50+ scoring games in 2016, the most since four 50+ scoring games in the 2010 season and before that 6 100+ games in 2008 . . . Tulsa has five 50+ scoring games in the last 14 games under Montgomery, dating back to the 2015 Camping World Independence Bowl when Tulsa scored 52 points.
TULSA IS ONLY ONE OF FIVE
• Tulsa is one of only five FBS programs to play all of its non-conference games in 2017 against teams that played in a bowl game last season.
• The others are Louisiana-Monroe, Oklahoma State, Rice and UCLA.
• Only three of the five teams (ULM, Rice, Tulsa) have four non-conference games, while Oklahoma State and UCLA will play just three non-conference games.
• A total of nine Tulsa opponents this year made bowl appearances last season.
• Tulsa's 2017 opponents that made bowl appearances last year include: Oklahoma State, Louisiana, Toledo, New Mexico and conference foes Navy, Houston, Memphis, USF and Temple.