Smoky Turkey Gumbo
Monday, January 15th 2018, 2:29 PM CST
Gluten-free recipe from Weight Watchers
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 3 5-ounce turkey breast cutlets, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 ¼ tsp Cajun spice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle turkey with Cajun spice. Add half of turkey and cook, stirring often, until browned – about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining turkey.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to Dutch oven. Add onion, celery, and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened – 5 minutes. Add garlic and paprika and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant – 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, and thyme sprig and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened – about 8 minutes. Stir in turkey and salt and cook just until heated through – about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Remove and discard thyme sprig.