- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces ground bison
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon pure ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup canned diced San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 butternut squash diced, roasted
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (1" square) piece 70% dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Heat a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add ground bison and season with the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, to brown the meat, 3-5 minutes.
- Add onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- While stirring, add the cumin, chili powder, ancho chili powder and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, roasted butternut squash and chicken stock. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Add the chocolate, dried oregano, paprika, cinnamon and salt. Stir and let simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add fresh oregano. Adjust the seasoning. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with desired accompaniments.
- If not serving immediately, let the chili cool then refrigerate for up to 4 days, or freeze up to 1 month.