Joe's 'Candy Hot Thighs' Chicken
Tuesday, May 22nd 2018, 12:32 PM CDT
- 12 Skin-On Chicken Thighs
- 1.25 oz. Oklahoma Joe’s Hog Rub and Yardbird Seasoning
- ½ lbs. Golden Brown Sugar
- 10 oz. Beef Stock
- 10 oz. Joe’s BBQ Sauce
- 4 oz. Tiger Sauce
- 2 oz Honey
- 2 oz White Vinegar
- Load your fire box with 5 pounds of charcoal then light your Joe’s Charcoal Chimney full of charcoal. When lit, pour the hot coals on top of charcoal in firebox. As the charcoal is getting ashed over, go to the next steps.
- Once the charcoal is hot and ashed over (ashed over is when 70% or more of the charcoal has turned grey) add your favorite wood chunks to the firebox. I recommend combining pecan and mesquite.
- Sprinkle Oklahoma Joe’s Hog Rub and Yardbird Seasoning liberally on both sides of thighs
- Place chicken thighs onto smoker next to firebox when it is hot and smoke is rolling
- Every 10 minutes, turn chicken for 30 minutes
- Mix the brown sugar and liquid ingredients in a mixing bowl then pour into disposable aluminum pans and preheat on grill right beside the chicken
- After thighs have been on smoker for 30 minutes remove and place in boiling hot BBQ Candy Sauce, cover with foil and continue to boil thighs for 20 minutes.
- Remove thighs from hot candy sauce and firm them up by searing on hot grill to caramelize, basting with hot candy sauce as you caramelize