Bicycles & Gathering Place: What You Need To Know
TULSA, Oklahoma - The countdown to the opening of Gathering Place is almost over. Tulsa's world-class park opens at 10 a.m. Saturday, September 8.
For people who want to enjoy the park on a bicycle, there are some things you need to know. The existing Midland Valley Trail now runs through the part of the park and ends at the western edge of the park.
You can ride bikes on the trail, but you cannot ride bikes while you're on Gathering Place grounds. Bicycles are allowed only at designated areas, like the bike park.
Eventually the city says the trail will connect the park with a state-of-the-art pedestrian bridge that the city promised as part of the Vision tax package. They say this junction will turn into a plaza where the trail bridge over Riverside meets the new pedestrian bridge over the river.
I talked with new bike rental company This Machine, and they will have three kiosks ready to go for Saturday so you can hop on the trail and ride. The stations will be at the north end of the Midland Valley Trail, at 27th and Riverside and at the Sports Court station at 33rd Place and Riverside.
A lot of people are asking about dogs and the park as well. Dogs are also allowed on the trails around the park but not within the playgrounds themselves. There will be special events where you can bring your pet along to the park.
- No glass bottles
- No amplified sound devices; please use headphones to enjoy your music
- No pets other than service animals are allowed in play areas unless otherwise authorized; Pets will be allowed on the Midland Valley and riverfront trails and during designated days as published.
- No smoking permitted (traditional or e-cigarettes) except in designated areas
- No transport devices larger than a child’s wagon (other than wheelchairs)
- Skates, skateboards, scooters, roller blades, bicycles and powered ride vehicles (except for ECVs used by mobility-impaired guests) are allowed only in designated areas
- Rock and structure climbing is prohibited unless designated; please ask a Gathering Place staff member if you have any questions
- The open or concealed carry of guns, knives or other weapons is strictly prohibited
- No drones or other radio-controlled equipment are to be operated at Gathering Place