Susan G. Komen
Most people will know someone who has been touched by breast cancer at some point in their lives. Breast cancer is a widespread and random disease, striking women and men of all ages and races. It is the most prevalent cancer in the world today, with approximately 1.3 million people diagnosed every year. The exact cause of the disease is unknown at this time and there is no cure. However, Susan G. Komen Tulsa believes there is hope. Thanks to heightened awareness, early detection through screening, improved treatment methods and increased access to breast health services, people have a greater chance of survival than ever before.
Susan G. Komen Tulsa’s mission is to provide funding for breast health services, breast cancer education and outreach in the Tulsa area and throughout Eastern Oklahoma. The organization’s biggest hope is to save lives by meeting the most critical needs in surrounding communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer.
Through events like Komen Tulsa Race for the Cure, Komen Tulsa invests 75 percent of the funds raised to support vital local breast health services, and dedicates the remaining 25 percent to national research to find the cures. Through donations, Komen is seeing a real impact against breast cancer with treatments that are 56 percent more effective and with 18 percent better tools to detect, diagnose and determine treatment.
Susan G. Komen’s website, offers comprehensive information about breast cancer risk factors, early detection and screening, and diagnosis and treatment.