Broken Arrow Fire: Neighbor's 911 Call Probably Saved Fire Victim's Life

Tuesday, June 28th 2011, 10:12 am
By: News 9

BROKEN ARROW, Oklahoma -- Broken Arrow firefighters had to rescue a man from his home Tuesday morning after a smokey kitchen fire left the man unconscious. 

The home is located in the 3700 block of East Vail.

BA Fire Deputy Chief James Suddath says something on the stove caught fire.  That fire caused thick smoke inside the home.  The victim, a mid-30's male was lying on the couch and apparently was rendered unconscious because of the smoke. 

A neighbor spotted the smoke pouring from the home and called 911.  Suddath says that call probably saved the victim's life. 

Broken Arrow firefighters pulled the victim out of the house and administered aid  before transporting him to a Tulsa hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Suddath says the home had a smoke detector and it was going off when firefighters entered the home, but the victim was already unconscious and could not leave the home.

There is no word on the condition of the victim.