Guilt-Free Chili Cheese Dog Casserole
Friday, September 21st 2018, 8:52 am
By: News On 6
- 1 lbs. uncooked 99% fat free ground turkey breast
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic glove, minced
- 4 fat free beef franks, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup drained and rinsed canned kidney beans
- 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tbls. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 (7.5 oz.) can of refrigerated biscuits cut into quarters
- 4 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 9 x 3 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mist a large sauté pan with cooking spray and bring to medium heat. Add ground turkey and with a wooden spoon break it up while it cooks. When turkey is almost browned, add the onions, garlic and hot dog pieces. Stir together. Continue cooking for a few more minutes until the turkey is completely browned and onions are softened.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper to the turkey mixture. Stir until well combined. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in biscuit dough pieces and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Spread evenly and bake for 25 minutes. Remove front the oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese across the top. Return to oven for another 15 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and cut into 6 servings.