Fire Damages Okmulgee Motel

Friday, September 18th 2015, 12:30 pm
By: News On 6

A small fire in a room of a downtown Okmulgee motel early Friday damaged the room and led to motel's evacuation.

The Okmulgee News Network[ONN] says firefighters responded to the the Budget Inn at 312 Morton Avenue just after 1 a.m. 

The motel owner, Gabriella Hensen told ONN the fire was contained to the one room.  Henson says there were 50 people living there at the time. 

The Red Cross responded to help those evacuated and assist the motel with finding another motel for those who could not return to their rooms.

One motel resident was taken to the Okmulgee hospital to be checked out for possible smoke inhalation.

Henson speculated the cause might have been from burning grease, but Okmulgee's Fire Marshal is still trying to determine the fire's cause.