Judge Imposes Curfew On Brothers Accused In Fatal Verdigris Hit-And-Run

Monday, August 31st 2015, 4:19 pm
By: News On 6

A Rogers County judge imposed some restrictions on two brothers who are out on bond but denied other requests made by the district attorney Monday.

Gage and Dakota Shriver are accused of hitting two girls who were walking on the side of the road near Verdigris June 5, killing one and injuring another.

The Rogers County District Attorney's Office asked a judge to put them on GPS monitors, give them a curfew, order them not to leave Rogers County, take daily drug tests, and put interlock devices on their cars.

The attorneys for the brothers argued in court that placing all these conditions on their bond would be inconvenient for the brothers. But the mother of the girl who was killed that night on the side of the road said, what's inconvenient, is burying your daughter.

Maranda Talley is recovered enough from her injuries to be at court. She was surrounded by her family and the family of Noelle New, who was killed that night.

Prosecutors say Gage Shriver was driving drunk when he and his brother Dakota started arguing, then Dakota punched Gage, and Gage lost control,  into the girls who were walking. The DA says the brothers later removed evidence from the scene and lied to police. 

6/30/2015 Related Story: Prosecutors Charge Two Brothers With Second-Degree Murder In Rogers County Crash

Noelle's mother says the hardest part for her is knowing they let the girls lay there on the road for two hours before help was called.

"They walked around the scene and picked up debris and tried to hide evidence with my daughter laying there right beside them as they did that," said Brandy Whitmire, Noelle's mother.

The attorneys for the Shrivers said one of them now lives and works in Tahlequah, and it's unfair to make him quit his job and move. They said there's no evidence the brothers have a drug or alcohol problem so they shouldn't have to take daily tests or have machines in their cars.

Gage's attorney said test results show Gage wasn't intoxicated that night. The DA says that's only because the test wasn't done until seven hours after the crash.

The judge said no to everything except did order the brothers to have a curfew of 10 p.m. and not contact the victims' families.

"I don't think we are asking for unreasonable things. We're basically asking, let's keep the rest of the community safe," Whitmire said.

The attorneys for both brothers declined to comment after court. The family of the victims says while they're disappointed with the ruling, they're just hoping for justice in the long run.