The bats for the Oral Roberts baseball team continued to roll Friday night with a 15-4 run rule victory at North Dakota State to win their seventh straight game.
The Golden Eagles have now won 16 of their last 17 games and five straight Summit League games while improving to 14-2 in league play.
Freshman Matt Whatley went 2-for-6 with five RBI fourth home run of the season. He was joined offensively by Anthony Sequeira who blasted his team leading six home run of the year and Chase Stafford who went 4-for-4 with a RBI and two runs scored.
Guillermo Trujillo returned to the mound and picked up his sixth win of the season at 6-2 through 5.2 innings. He scattered seven hits and struck out seven while allowing just three earned runs.
Paul Funk scored two of the NDSU runs and was 2-for-2 as the Bison were never able to string together multiple hits.
After scoring four runs in the second inning and three more in the third, ORU held a comfortable 7-1 lead heading to the fourth inning. Anthony Sequeira hit a rocket over the right field wall for a two-run homer that put the game seemingly out of reach at 9-1.
Oral Roberts: Chase Stafford finished 4-for-4 with a RBI and two runs scored. Matt Whatley was 2-for-6 with five RBI.
NDSU: Paul Funk went 2-for-2 with a pair of runs scored and a walk.
Inside the Box Score
- The Golden Eagles have won seven games and have the seventh longest winning streak in the nation tied with Stony Brook. Illinois leads the country with 12 straight wins.
- Nine of 10 Golden Eagles recorded at least one hit Friday night.
- Derrian James extended his hitting streak to nine games and tied the longest streak this season with Whatley and Nick Roark.
- Matt Brandy went 3-for-5 and has now reached base safely in 26 straight games for the Golden Eagles.
- The Golden Eagles have outscored their opponents 78-16 during the seven game winning streak.
- Matt Whatley put the Golden Eagles up early when he snuck an opposite field home run inside the right field foul pole. The home run put ORU up 3-0 as Chase Stafford and Noah Cummings both touched home on the bomb.
- Two batters later, Matt Brandy drove in Derrian James with a RBI single to center giving the Golden Eagles a 4-0 lead.
- The Golden Eagles continued to add to their lead in the third inning when Dean Wilson singled home Audie Afenir and Cummings. Whatley picked up his fourth RBI when he beat out a potential double play that scored Wilson and put ORU up 7-0.
- NDSU got on the board in the third inning when Paul Funk beat the throw at the plate scoring on a Danny Regan single.
- Anthony Sequeira delivered a no-doubt home run to right field for his sixth home run of the year that also scored Brandy.
- The Bison added a run in the bottom of the fourth inning when Juan Gamez reached on a tough luck error that was lost in the sun scoring John Skrbec to make the score 9-2 in favor of the Golden Eagles.
- Skrbec came home to score on a wild pitch in the bottom of the sixth inning to pull NDSU within 9-3. Wicklund followed with a RBI single to center as Funk was able to slide in safely at home to cut the ORU lead to 9-4.
- The Golden Eagles answered in the seventh inning when Whatley started the scoring with a check swing single through the right side to score Wilson.
- James and Brandy followed with back-to-back RBI singles to push the Golden Eagles back to a 12-4 lead. James would come home on a throwing error before Brandy scored on a wild pitch to give ORU a 14-4 lead.
- Stafford singled home the final run that extended the ORU lead to 15-4 scoring Afenir who reached on a walk earlier in the inning.
Upcoming weather changed the weekend schedule as ORU and NDSU will play a double-header Saturday at Newman Outdoor Field. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 1 p.m. with game two to follow approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion.