A solid defensive performance for the Oral Roberts University women's basketball team helped propel the Golden Eagles to a 71-58 victory over North Dakota State in the Summit League Quarterfinals Sunday afternoon.
The Golden Eagles used a 16-3 run midway through the first half to pull away from the Bison and take a 23-12 lead at the 8:19 mark. Vicky McIntyre reached her 24th double-double of the season in the first half as well with 10 points and 10 rebounds as ORU led 37-26 at the break.
Offensively, ORU got a balanced scoring attack with three players finishing in double figures led by McIntyre's 18 points and 19 rebounds. Faith Ihim scored 14 points and pulled down seven bards as Dorottya Balla added 11 points in the win.
ORU held the Bison to 34 percent shooting from the field as Brooke LeMar led all scorers with 29 points.
The Turning Point
ORU jumped out to an 11 point lead with 8 minutes left in the first half and never looked back. North Dakota State cut the Golden Eagle lead to seven points with 5:40 left in the first half, but Tysia Manuel answered on the offensive end with a lay-up and two free throws to push the ORU lead back to double digits.
Oral Roberts: Vicky McIntyre finished with 18 points and 19 rebounds for her 24th double-double of the season. Faith Ihim added 14 points and seven rebounds.
NDSU: Brooke LeMar led all players with 29 points and added four rebounds and four assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU controlled the glass out-rebounding NDSU 51-38. It was the second straight game with 50 or more rebounds for ORU and sixth time this season.
- Vicky McIntyre's 19 rebounds were the second most in a Summit League Tournament game passing Kristi Echelberry of Youngstown State vs. Buffalo (3/6/95). Zane Teilane of Western Illinois holds the record with 22 boards against Oakland (3/7/06).
- McIntyre's 19 rebounds set an ORU Summit League record eclipsing Elisha Turek's mark of 14 against Oakland (3/5/05).
- Tysia Manuel scored a career-high eight points and tied a season-high five rebounds.
- The Golden Eagles held NDSU to just 31.3 percent shooting in the first half.
News & Notes
- The Golden Eagles advance to Monday's semifinal game against South Dakota State.
- South Dakota State swept the season series with ORU.
- Vicky McIntyre moves into the NCAA record books with 468 rebounds and placing her 16th on the single-season list for most rebounds.
- McIntyre added two blocks in the game giving her 133 on the season and she is four away from the Summit League single-season record held by Brooke McAfee (05-06) of IUPUI.
- Atoe' Jackson is just three points shy of 400 for her career at ORU.
- South Dakota and IUPUI will play Monday at noon in the first semifinal game.
The Golden Eagles take on South Dakota State Monday at 2:30 p.m. in the Summit League Semifinals in Sioux Falls. The game will be available on ESPN3 and the Watch ESPN App with Tuesday's title game being broadcast live on ESPNU.