Sony Pictures has decided to cancel the Dec. 25 release of "The Interview," starring James Franco and Seth Rogen.
The move comes after numerous theater chains in North America dropped the film in the wake of hackers' threatened terrorist attacks.
"In light of the decision by the majority of our exhibitors not to show the film 'The Interview,' we have decided not to move forward with the planned December 25 theatrical release," Sony said in a statement on Wednesday.
"Sony Pictures has been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against our employees, our customers, and our business. Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material, and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale - all apparently to thwart the release of a movie they did not like. We are deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public. We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome," the statement continued. Later in the day, the company said it has "no further release plans for the film."
Regal Cinemas, AMC Entertainment and Cinemark had already pulled the movie from their theaters. The chains also were joined in postponing any screenings of "The Interview" by ArcLight Cinemas, Cineplex Entertainment and Carmike Cinemas, which pulled the film Tuesday.
Regal said in a statement that it was delaying "The Interview" ''due to wavering support of the film ... by Sony Pictures, as well as the ambiguous nature of any real or perceived security threats."
Cineplex Entertainment, Canada's largest theater circuit, said safety was the first concern. "We look forward to a time when this situation is resolved and those responsible are apprehended," said Cineplex spokesman Pat Marshall.
After hackers calling themselves Guardians of Peace on Tuesday referenced the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11th in an ominous warning of violence for "Interview" moviegoers, Sony offered theaters the option of bowing out.
12/17/2014 Related Story: Some Oklahoma Theaters Won't Show 'The Interview' After Threat
The seriousness of the threat is unclear. The Department of Homeland Security said Tuesday there was "no credible intelligence to indicate an active plot against movie theaters," but noted it was still analyzing messages from the group. The warning did prompt law enforcement in New York and Los Angeles to address measures to ramp up security.
The FBI is investigating the identity of the hackers, but suspicion has centered on North Korea, which has issued warnings over "The Interview." The comedy depicts a TV host (James Franco) and producer (Seth Rogen) tasked by the CIA to assassinate North Korea leader Kim Jung-un (played by Randall Park). Sony, which produced the film, has been shaken by a hacking attack by the group.
The National Association of Theatre Owners also weighed in Wednesday: "Individual cinema operators may decide to delay exhibition of the movie so that our guests may enjoy a safe holiday movie season experiencing the many other exciting films we have to offer," the group said in a statement.
Sony could still potentially release the film at a later date in theaters, try an unprecedented on-demand release or simply hold on to it.
Some in Hollywood lashed out Wednesday at the theater operators, calling their decision a capitulation to terrorists.
"It is a disgrace that these theaters are not showing 'The Interview,'" said Judd Apatow, Rogen's friend and collaborator. "Will they pull any movie that gets an anonymous threat now?"
Sony's announcement on Wednesday sparked even more comments on social media.