Tulsa Police Cancel Amber Alert After Girl Found Safe

Monday, May 5th 2014, 7:42 am
By: News On 6

Editor's Note: Previous versions of this story identified the girl who was the subject of an Amber Alert. We have since removed the child's name and photograph due to the nature of the complaints against the man accused of kidnapping her.

The Tulsa Police Department canceled an Amber Alert early Monday for an 8-year-old girl taken from a playground at Willowbend Apartments Sunday evening.

Investigators worked through the night to track down the young girl and her abductor. Early Monday, they arrested Michael Slatton, 33, in Sapulpa. Police said the girl was also found and has been reunited with her family.

Police Officer Jill Roberson said the girl was taken from a playground at the apartment complex in the 3000 block of South 101st East Avenue at about 7:20 p.m.

Witnesses told police a man pulled up to the playground, grabbed the girl and drove away.

5/4/2014 Related Story: OHP: Abducted Tulsa Girl Found, Suspect In Custody

Roberson said Michael Slatton was spotted twice before he was arrested early Monday. A Dollar General clerk in Sapulpa provided officers with vital information about Slatton. The clerk called police at 11:15 p.m. to describe a man who purchased young girl's clothing and coloring books earlier in the evening and seemed suspicious.

Also, a security guard at another Tulsa apartment complex came in contact with Slatton earlier Sunday and gave officers additional information.

Officers spotted Slatton at the Whataburger at 1704 South Main Street in Sapulpa. He struggled and was able to get away.

Sapulpa Police officers and members of the Northern Oklahoma Violent Crimes Task Force gave chase and located Slatton after searching in a wooded area on West Mary Lynn Drive, not far from the Whataburger.

The 8-year-old girl was found safe a short time later near the spot officers took Slatton into custody. She has been reunited with her family and will be interviewed by police Monday afternoon.

Michael Slatton was taken by ambulance to a Tulsa hospital following his arrest. He seemed groggy but made an obscene gesture to the media as he was loaded into the ambulance.

According to court records, Slatton is a registered sex offender in the state of Oklahoma. He was convicted in 2006 of sexual battery.

Slatton was considered an aggravated offender and must register for life. He was released from prison in December 2013 after serving time for a number of offenses, including the sexual battery charges and burglary and robbery.

Slatton was booked into the Tulsa County jail on complaint of kidnapping, lewd molestation of a minor and injury to a minor child. Jail records show he is being held in lieu of $1.5 million bond with a court appearance set for May 13, 2014.