• 1 day-old Panera Bread Cinnamon Raisin Loaf, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/2 –inch cubes
• 1 cup sugar
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• 3 ¼ cups 2% milk
• 3 eggs
• 2 egg whites
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Half of an 11-ounce package (about 1 cup) soft caramel candies
1. Heat the oven to 350°F. Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let them cool.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the apples and ¼ cup of the sugar. Cook until the apples are tender and the sugar turns light caramel in color, 10-15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cinnamon.
3. In a large bowl, whisk 3 cups of the milk together with the eggs, egg whites, vanilla extract, and remaining ¾ cup of sugar. Fold in the bread and apples until thoroughly coated; let the mixture stand for 10 minutes.
4. Coat a 2 ½ - quart baking dish with cooking spray. Add the bread mixture and compress gently to saturate the bread. Bake until the custard is just set and the top is golden, 50-60 minutes.
5. Combine the caramels and remaining ¼ cup of milk in a 2-cup glass measuring cup or bowl. Microwave on high until the mixture can be stirred smooth, 1-2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds after 1 minute of cooking to check the consistency. Cool the caramel sauce slightly; then drizzle it over each serving.