WATCH: Video Shows Arrest That Ended In Creek County Man's Death

Friday, January 17th 2014, 7:51 pm
By: News On 6

A Creek County family is getting $100,000 from the city of Sapulpa and Creek County after the death of their loved one, two-and-a-half years ago. Matthew Kelley died while in custody in July 2011.

His family filed a lawsuit saying he was beaten to death by Creek County deputies.

The medical examiner says Matthew Kelley had meth in his system and became overly excited. But his family says sheriff's deputies tased and beat him. Most of the incident was caught on surveillance tape from a home across the street.

"He was a really good dad: his kids were spoiled; he worked hard; he was all about family," said Amber Johnson, Kelley's sister-in-law.

Amber Johnson's sister was married to Matthew Kelley who died in July 2011. The official cause of death was a heart attack due to Excited Delirium Syndrome.

His family has never believed that and says surveillance tape shows police and sheriff's deputies in complete disregard for his life.

"There's no way to wrap your mind around what they did, and they're supposed to be the people that protect us," Johnson said.

Creek County Sheriff's deputies were called to a home by Matthew Kelley's uncle who said Kelley had violated a protective order. Kelley went inside the home, and two deputies followed.

7/11/2011 Related Story: Man Dies In Back Seat Of Creek County Deputy's Car

The family says Kelley was tased at least six times, doused with pepper spray, kicked in the side, and repeatedly beaten with a police baton.

"This isn't the Wild West," said his sister-in-law Amber Johnson. "They can't go about doing - their badge does not give them the right to play God."

But what has the family even more upset is what happened after Kelley was handcuffed.

"They carried him out like a bag of trash," Johnson said.

In surveillance video, you can see deputies carry him from the house and put him in a patrol car. He sat in the backseat for 25 minutes, while officers talked outside of the car, before he was taken for medical help.

Kelley was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at the hospital. Amber Johnson says the family is still recovering from his death.

"I talk to him and ask him to help me be okay and find peace everyday because there's no way to comprehend someone beating someone they way they did, at all," she said.

The family just recently settled its lawsuit. Creek County has to pay $90,000, while the city of Sapulpa is paying $10,000.

We were unable to get in touch with anyone from the county or city for comment.