Poteau Resident Injured Rescuing Pets From Burning Home


Friday, January 3rd 2014, 11:29 am
By: News On 6


The Poteau Fire Department says a man suffered cuts on his hands after breaking out a window of his burning home as he rescued two dogs and a cat early Friday.

Firefighters got the call to the home on South Boulevard just after 1 a.m.

Poteau Fire Chief Jon Pickel told KFSM, the CBS affiliate in Fort Smith, by the time firefighters arrived at the scene, the front of the home was in flames and neighboring homes were at risk.

Pickel says the fire was likely started by an electric space heater in the home's living room.

Officials told KFSM the three pets made it out of the house, but may now be lost after rescue personnel took the injured man to the hospital.

He was treated and released.