• 2 slices pork bacon, chopped
• ½ cup chopped onion
• 4 cups (6 oz) spinach, thick stems removed, chopped
• 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
• 2/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
• 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
• Pinch of cayenne pepper
• 2 Panera Bread Sourdough Bread Bowls
• Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
• Cook the chopped bacon in a large skillet until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 teaspoon of the fat.
• Add the onion and cook until soft and golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the spinach, cover, and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring spinach from bottom to top once or twice. Drain off any excess water and transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
• Add beaten eggs, bacon, ricotta, 3 tablespoons of Parmesan, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne to the bowl. Stir gently until combined.
• Cut out the tops of both Panera Bread Sourdough Bread Bowls as if making jack-o-lanterns out of pumpkins. Remove bread from inside, leaving about a ½ =inch thick shell of crust. Save or freeze the bread, including the top crust, for another use, such as bread crumbs or croutons. Place bread bowls on prepared baking sheet.
• Scrape filling into bread bowls and sprinkle with remaining 3 tablespoons of Parmesan.
• Bake, without the top crust of bread, until filling is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving. Using a serrated knife, cut each bowl into 3 wedges, like a peace sign.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes