Tulsa Police Arrest Suspect And His Mother After 8-Hour Standoff

Saturday, June 11th 2011, 8:38 am
By: News On 6


TULSA, Oklahoma -- An 8-hour standoff ended in the arrest of a 28-year-old Tulsa man and his mother overnight Saturday. In the course of the standoff, police used tear gas and eventually drove an armored vehicle into the man's house.

In custody are Phillip Alexander McCoy and his mother, 55-year-old Kathy McCoy.

Police say McCoy had barricaded himself in his family home in the 500 block of South Richmond armed with meat cleavers and a filet knife after invading a neighbor's house.

Tulsa Police Sergeant Brian Hill said the ordeal began at about 7 p.m. Friday when police received a domestic disturbance call about a man threatening a violent act. They learned the 28-year-old man who had been released from Tulsa County Jail June 9, 2011, was at his mother's residence threatening to kill her.

Police say they learned McCoy went to a neighbor's house across the street earlier in the evening and kicked in the front door. He took a large television outside and set it in the front yard. The man then went back into the family home.

When police arrived they said McCoy was "under the influence of intoxicants," and refused to leave the home. The suspect was asked many times to leave the house, but he kept telling police "he was not coming out under any circumstance," Hill said.

"He was very determined," Sergeant Hill said. "He was very determined that he was not coming out and that we were going to have to come in and get him."

At about 11:30 p.m., the Tulsa Police Special Operations Team was called in and fired several rounds of tear gas and pepper into the home. Police then used an armored vehicle to get into the house, driving into the side of the home with SOT officers following the truck inside.

The victim's mother, upset about the damage to her house, went running into the middle of the scene. Police say Kathy McCoy ignored commands to stop, and they ended up firing pepper rounds at her and taking her into custody as well.

At about 3:15 a.m., Phillip McCoy was finally pulled from the house. He was transported by EMSA with injuries he got falling from the rafters, police say.

"We had a felony suspect that absolutely needed to be arrested tonight," Hill said.

Phillip McCoy was booked on complaints of second degree burglary, threatening a violent act and obstructing a police officer in the performance of his duty. He had been released from jail on Thursday for an arrest May 9, 2011. At that time, McCoy was arrested for driving under the influence, driving under suspension and making an improper right turn.

Kathy McCoy was booked on a complaint of failure to obey a lawful command.

Keep checking back to this story for more information and an interview with Tulsa Police Sergeant Brian Hill.