Free Tulsa County Master Gardening Spring Classes Start Tuesday
Tuesday, April 5th 2011, 9:15 am
By: News On 6
TULSA, Oklahoma -- The Tulsa County Master Gardener Spring series is offering free gardening classes starting April 5, 2011 and continuing for nine consecutive Tuesdays.
The classes will be held at the OSU Extension Center at 4116 East 15th Street, which is Gate 6 at the Tulsa County Fairgrounds.
Classes begin at 5:30 p.m. and last for about 30 minutes. There is no cost and no pre-registration..
The list of classes:
- April 5 - Miniature Fruit Trees: How to chooses the right root stock and grow fruit trees in small spaces. Also, explainer of fruit trees will be discussed and cultivars available.
- April 12 - Raising Chickens in your own backyard: What is lawful to do in the city limits of Tulsa and surrounding towns. The how-to of small yard chicken care and breeds available.
- April 19 - Tomatoes in Small Spaces: Discussion of all vegetables and herbs that can be successfully grown in containers and small gardens and the how-to details.
- April 26 - Blooming' Containers: Demonstration of successful planting of unusual plant combinations including perennials, annuals, tropical's and herbs. Tulsa Booms! project will be explained for homeowner's participation.
- May 3 - Earth-Kind Gardening: Discussion of all elements of sustainable gardening including mulching, chemical free control to attract beneficial insects, rain barrels, going organic and composting.
- May 10 - Fun with Garden Decor: Tasteful decorations, both whimsical and natural to enhance both gardens and living areas.
- May 17 - Backyard Ponds for Beginners: How to start a pond feature without professional installation, large or small, and maintenance requirements for fish and water plants.
- May 24 - What's New in the Garden: Visual representation of new cultivars for the garden and description of care requirements.
- May 31 - Master Gardener Memorial and Teaching Garden Tour: Waling tour of the gardens onsite and explanation of new plant materials and maintenance requirements.
For more information call the Master Gardener Office In Tulsa at 918-746-3701 .