Tulsa Marine Pops Big Question On Christmas Day

Sunday, December 26th 2010, 3:04 pm
By: News On 6

Lacie Lowry, News On 6

TULSA, Oklahoma -- Lance Corporal Erick Anderson arrived home from training Friday night. It was an exciting moment for his family, but he had bigger plans in store.

On Saturday, his Christmas wish came true. It was a Christmas Lance Corporal Erick Anderson will never forget. Neither will his girlfriend Nicole McDowell – because it was the moment she became his fiancé.

"It went pretty good!" said Lance Corporal Erick Anderson, United States Marine Corps.

Erick had Nicole read a card, and that's when she realized he was proposing. She couldn't hold back the tears.

"I didn't realize he was planning to do that today, so it was really a surprise. I knew he was going to be home for Christmas, but that was all," Nicole McDowell said.

Erick says he was nervous, even though he says he knew Nicole was going to say yes because they were meant for each other.

"Everyone knows we are going to have our fights, but we don't let that stop us. She stands by me and supports me with whatever I do," Anderson said.

12/24/2010 Related Story: Oklahoma Marine Returns Home For Christmas

Erick's plan goes back to September, when he entered a contest called 'Diamonds for Courage' and won an engagement ring from Israel Diamond Supply.

Christmas was the first time he could come home from training in North Carolina and actually pop the question.

"I haven't been home for almost nine months, so it's nice having everyone together at one time, getting to see them all, spend time with them all, talk to them in person," said Lance Corporal Erick Anderson.

He figured this special homecoming was the perfect setting for an engagement.

"She's going to have my kids one day, not anytime soon, but I love her," he said.

Erick deploys to Afghanistan next March, something Nicole can't stop thinking about.

"I'm scared and I'm sad, but I support him anyway," she said.

Anderson had another surprise for his loved ones. He originally said he had to head back for more training on Monday, but said Saturday that he's home until January 3rd.