Lacie Lowry, News On 6
KELLYVILLE, Oklahoma -- Winds are whipping up smokey reminders at the site of a mobile home fire in Kellyville. A raging fire destroyed the home Saturday afternoon.
That date was the one year anniversary of another tragedy for the family.
Kellyville resident Terrell Copeland has walked this path for three decades. It only took five minutes for a fire to change the scenery.
"All our clothes are in there. The only thing we got is what we have on, that's it," Copeland said.
The fire stripped his trailer home bare, blurring the lines between one room and another. He couldn't save anything.
It's rough to process it all because we've lived here for 33 years and all our memories all our pictures, everything are in this house, he said.
Rocky Trail has experienced more tragedy in the last 12 months than most people do in a lifetime. His mother was killed in a car accident November of 2009.
"I had like thousands of pictures of her and not even five minutes, it's all gone," said 14-year-old Rocky.
He and his four sisters came to live with the Copelands under a temporary guardianship, and the fire came on the anniversary of their mother's death.
When asked how he stayed so strong, Rocky replied after a long pause, "I guess I'm used to it."
In all, eleven people were staying at the home at the time of the fire, which may have been caused by electrical problems.
The family had no insurance.
"I hate losing everything and I hate the thought of starting all over, but as long as everyone's healthy, that's the main thing," Copeland said.
The American Red Cross paid for some new clothing for the family and a neighbor has offered his extra three-bedroom trailer to the Copeland's for as long as they need.
The family plans to rebuild.