Final Two Suspects Arrested In Tulsa Home Invasion Robbery

Thursday, October 7th 2010, 9:24 pm
By: News On 6

By Lori Fullbright, The News On 6

TULSA, Oklahoma -- Tulsa Police arrested the final two suspects Thursday night in a home invasion robbery last weekend in Tulsa.  Now, all four men are in jail.

It happened Saturday morning, October 2, 2010.  The man who lived in the house fought back and won but, it's a decision he's been re-living and re-thinking every moment since.

10/2/2010 Related Story: Armed Suspect Loses Fingers When Tulsa Homeowner Fights Back

Larry says his decision to fight back was made in a split second.  He said you never know what you're going to do in that moment, until it happens and he acted on pure instinct.

Larry: "As I came around the corner, there were two men, one right there and one right there."

Lori Fullbright, The News On 6: "And, both had guns to your head."

Larry: "Both with guns to my head."

When the noise first woke Larry up, he thought his cat knocked something over. He didn't realize two men had kicked in his door. They wanted money, but he only had $57 and didn't think that'd be enough so he lunged at the man in front of him and grabbed the gun.

"We came crashing out the door and fell off the porch and ended up in the grass," Larry said.

The whole time he's wrestling one man with the gun, the other is beating Larry on the head with that gun. He has dozens of stitches and staples in front, back and over his ear.  Then, Larry got his hand on the trigger and pulled. The gun went off and the man who'd been hitting him took off running.

Larry, who had the other guy on the ground in a headlock, had control of the gun.

"I stuck it to his head and said if you move, you're gonna die," he said.

Just when he thought it was over, two more men pulled up in a car and jumped out with a gun, running toward Larry.  He got off a few shots and managed to keep the one in a headlock. The two men in the car took off and neighbors who had heard the shots called 911, so officers soon arrived.

"When the officer walked up my driveway, I as never so happy to see a guy in my life," Larry said.

Larry had shot the man he was wrestling with in the hand. Police say that was Bobby Lewis.  They later arrested Vincent Leib. The other two suspects, a father and son, Brian Breckenridge and Jordan Smith, were arrested Thursday night.

Larry says he's just thankful it worked out the way it did.

"When it's all said and done, he went to jail and his buddies went to jail and I came back home," he said.

Larry said he didn't know any of the men, but contractors have been remodeling his house so he wonders if there's a connection.

What Larry hates most about all this is how it's changed him. He's nervous now, thinks about the fight day and night, worries about security and is no longer as welcoming or trusting.  He realizes that may change with time. For now, he's just thankful to be alive.