1 large bulb garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
5 cups Low sodium Chicken broth
4 slices firm-texture wheat bread (crusts removed), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cute into 1/2 inch cubes
3 oz queso fresco
1 large ripe tomato, diced
3 green onions
1. In a small saucepan, sauté garlic in olive oil over medium-low heat until garlic is soft and golden
2. Strain garlic and reserve the oil in a small pitcher
3. In a medium saucepan, combine garlic and chick broth. Bring them to a boil; reduce heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes
4. Divide the avocado, queso fresco, tomato, and green onions among 4-5 bowls. Ladle soup into the bowls and top with croutons.
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. On a baking sheet, toast the bread cubes about 10 minutes or until thoroughly dry but not brown.
2. Drizzle bread cubes with 3 Tbs of the reserved garlic oil; toss to thoroughly coat
3. Bake 5 minutes more or until the croutons are golden
Note: You can refrigerate remaining garlic oil for use in a salad dressing, omelets, hash browns, etc but must be used within 24 hrs
This soup fuses Spanish and Mexican influences and is a Fall favorite.
Cook 25 minutes, Prep time: 10 minutes