Victims Identified In Fatal Saturday Night Tulsa Plane Crash

Sunday, July 11th 2010, 12:21 am
By: News On 6

By Chris Wright, The News On 6

TULSA, OK -- Three men died after a plane crashed at Mohawk Park Saturday night, according to the Tulsa Fire Department

The three were officers in a newly-formed motorcycle manufacturer in Glenpool. 

According to U.S. Highland's website, 41-year-old President Mats Malmberg, 51-year-old Chief Operating Officer Chase Bales and 37-year-old Chief Financial Officer Damian Riddoch. 

2/4/2010 Related Story: Get Your Custom Motorcycle - Made In Tulsa

The pilot requested an emergency landing at Tulsa International Airport, but the Twin Engine Cessna never made it.

Authorities said all three were Tulsa residents returning from a business trip.

The morning after the fatal crash, the wreckage of the Cessna was barely visible from SkyNews6. The plane went down in a heavily-wooded area of Mohawk Park, making it difficult for first responders to reach.

"Our guys did a tremendous job of locating it to begin with," Steve Gage, Tulsa Fire Department Assistant Chief, said. "As I've stated, they had to cut a path with chainsaws and carry all their tools back in there quite a ways to get access to the plane."

When they did reach the crash site, there was little they could do. Two victims were declared dead at the scene, the other man died at a local hospital.

TPD said the Cesna was scheduled to land at Jones Riverside, but radioed Tulsa International requesting an emergency clearance to land there. According to radio traffic, the plane had run out of fuel.

The pilot was given permission to land, but it came up about 2,000 yards short of the runway.

National Transportation Safety Board investigators will determine whether or not a lack of fuel caused the crash.

"Where the wreckage is located at is going to be a bit of a challenge to us because we can't drive right to it with a recovery vehicle. So we're going to have to figure out how to get it lifted out of the woods where it's at," said NTSB Investigator Dan Baker.