Dietician Cassie Wrich from Hillcrest Medical Center shares a healthy menu for your summer grilling.
• 1 pound lean ground turkey
• 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
• 1 egg (can substitute 2 egg whites)
• 1 cup bread crumbs
• Pinch Kosher salt
• 1/2 cup chunky teriyaki sauce (see recipe below)
• 4 slices pineapple
• Green leaf lettuce
• 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
Preheat the grill to medium heat. In a mixing bowl, gently combine the ground turkey, ginger, egg, bread crumbs, and a pinch of salt. Once the ingredients are combined (don't over mix!), shape into 4 patties.
Cook the burgers and the pineapple slices on the grill. The burgers will need to cook for about 5 minutes on each side. In the last few minutes of cooking, baste the burgers on both sides with the teriyaki sauce. Cook the pineapple for the same amount of time, flipping to cook on both sides.
Chunky Teriyaki Sauce
• 8 ounce can of crushed pineapple in juice
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup mirin
• 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon corn starch
Combine the pineapple, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic in a small saucepan. In a separate bowl, whisk together the mirin, soy sauce, and corn starch to remove any lumps. Add to the pineapple mixture in the sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until the sauce is thick.