Tulsa Firefighter Burned On The Job


Thursday, July 2nd 2009, 12:07 pm
By: News On 6


News On 6

TULSA, OK -- A Tulsa firefighter was injured while fighting a house fire in North Tulsa.

Crews with the Tulsa Fire Department responded to the fire shortly after 10:30 a.m. Thursday in the 2800 block of East 42nd Street North.

Crews arrived to find heavy fire and smoke in the back of the home. Everyone was out of the home when firefighters arrived.

Firefighters faced intense heat upon entering the house.

Crews say one firefighter suffered first and second degree burns on his neck and was transported to Hillcrest Burn Center.

District Chief Doug Woods estimates the house has at least $40,000 in damage.

Chief of Fire Investigation Mike Bailey says the homeowners tried to extinguish the fire before calling 911. The homeowners tried for about 10 minutes, before calling for help, Bailey says.

Crews say the cause of the fire is accidental in nature, caused by faulty wiring.