Broken Valve Linked to Yukon Motel Explosion


Friday, June 26th 2009, 11:37 am
By: News On 6


Associated Press

YUKON, OK -- A broken valve on a natural gas line has been linked to an explosion at a motel in Yukon this week. 

Oklahoma City and state investigators say the valve is on a line that feeds a water heater near the laundry room at Guest Inn. Officials say they have not determined just what ignited the leaking gas Tuesday but that it appears accidental.

The eight months pregnant motel manager remains hospitalized in critical condition with burns over 25 percent of her body.

Bhautikaben Patel was in the laundry room at the time of the explosion. Her 3-pound, 14-ounce son was delivered via cesarean section Wednesday and a hospital spokeswoman says he is in critical but stable condition.

Three other people suffered lesser injuries in the blast.

Related stories:

Pregnant Motel Explosion Victim Gives Birth | Five Injured in Yukon Motel Explosion