Do You Need A Permit To Shoot Fireworks?

Thursday, June 25th 2009, 5:01 pm
By: News On 6

By Tara Vreeland, The News On 6

SAND SPRINGS, OK -- The Fourth of July is just over a week away and people are gearing up for the celebrations by buying fireworks.   But, do you need to buy a permit from your city before you light off those pyrotechnics?

Most of the cities around Tulsa require that you buy a permit before you shoot off your own fireworks.  And, it's all to make for a safer Fourth of July holiday weekend.

The sound, the sparkle, and the smoke. Fireworks are a symbol of summer.

But with the dazzle comes the danger which is a reason why many local cities require you to purchase a permit.

"Our police department was just overwhelmed with the amount of fireworks calls. We didn't have enough people in the streets to patrol," said Sand Springs Fire Marshal Stan Smith.

Smith says in this is the second year for the permits in Sand Springs.

"Most people that come in and buy a fireworks permits seem to follow the rules really well. We had very little problems last year," said Sand Springs Fire Marshal Stan Smith.

The cities that require permits are Bixby, Broken Arrow, Claremore, Glenpool, Sand Springs and Sapulpa.

You must be older than 18 to buy a permit, so bring an I.D. You'll need to provide the address from where you will be shooting off the fireworks. And, the permits cost $20.  That is much cheaper than a fine. 

Last year, Sand Springs Police issued 25 tickets and eight warnings.

"Most of the money we get off the permits is going to put extra patrol officers on the streets," said Sand Springs Fire Marshal Stan Smith.

But, a permit doesn't permit you to put on your own pyrotechnic display.

"Anything you would have to go out of state  to buy is probably going to be illegal in the state of Oklahoma," said Sand Springs Fire Marshal Stan Smith.

Permits for Sand Springs can be bought at the fire administration building. Other permits can be bought at the appropriate city hall.