Tulsa Boy Hurt In Apartment Fire

Friday, March 6th 2009, 11:58 am
By: News On 6

TULSA, OK -- A young Tulsa boy was injured in an apartment fire on Friday morning.  The fire happened just before 10 o'clock at the Rose Rock Apartments, near 19th and Memorial.

Firefighters say the 5-year-old boy suffered minor burns.

Firefighters say five people were home at the time of the fire but had escaped from the building by the time they arrived.

They say the 5-year-old boy suffered burns on his forearm and was transported to Hillcrest Medical Center by EMSA.

Firefighters contained the fire to one apartment, which was a total loss.  The apartment below was damaged by water.

The Tulsa Fire Department blames the fire on the 5-year-old boy, saying he started it by playing with a cigarette lighter in a bedroom.

One firefighter was transported to Hillcrest for heat-related illness. The firefighter was on the initial attack crew and had signs of dehydration.