New Roof Causes CO Troubles


Thursday, October 30th 2008, 10:02 pm
By: News On 6


By Lori Fullbright, The News On 6

BROKEN ARROW, OK -- A Broken Arrow family had a terrible scare and now they want to make sure nobody else goes through a similar ordeal.  A couple nearly died from carbon monoxide poisoning, all because they had a new roof put on their home after last year's ice storm.

Cindy Campbell's home sustained a lot of damage from last year's ice storm.  Tree limbs were down everywhere and the roof was so damaged, it needed to be replaced.

The repairs were made, the family moved on, and then last Saturday, Cindy and her husband got really sick.

"I think I got myself to the bed. The rest of the day is fuzzy.  I had a hard time walking, my head was exploding. I was sick," said Cindy Campbell.

They thought they had the flu, but Cindy's daughter and mother live close by and wondered if it could be carbon monoxide poisoning.  They bought a detector and it started blaring, so they called ONG and their detectors also went crazy.

"He told my mother she is very, very lucky that, really as sick as she was, it wouldn't have taken much longer. We could be having a very different conversation at this point," said Cindy's daughter, Kellie Warren.

They suggested the flue vent might've been capped off by the roofers, so the family called a heating company and learned that was the case.

It's now been fixed.  But, Cindy may still need to have oxygen therapy.

"I feel so much better than on Saturday, but I spent all day Sunday outside getting fresh air.  But, I'm not back to par," said Cindy Campbell.

Everyone in the family now has a carbon monoxide detector and their close call has weighed heavily on their minds.

"I laid in bed last night, thinking of all the roofs that have gone up and I know people haven't turned on their heaters, yet," said Cindy's daughter, Kellie Warren.

If you've had roof work done, it would be worth the trouble to climb up there and make sure your vent is clear and open.  And, it's always a good idea to install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.

Kellie says everyone on her Christmas list will get one this year.