1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
3 tbsp canola oil
2 lbs cod or haddock (cut into 6 pieces)
1 ½ cup 1% milk
Pinch ground nutmeg
Pinch of pepper
1 cup preshredded 2% reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
2. Combine the bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper in a small bowl. Place 2 tablespoons of oil in a separate bowl. Lightly coat each piece of fish with the oil, then coat evenly with the bread crumb mixture.
3. Place fish on a cooking sheet and bake about 15 minutes, depending on thickness, until fish easily flakes with a fork.
4. Heat 1 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the spinach to the pan, stir frequently until spinach is fully cooked.
5. While the spinach is cooking, whisk the milk, flour, and nutmeg in a bowl. When the spinach is done, add the milk mixture to the saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and continue to simmer and stir gently until the mixture thickens slightly, usually about 2 minutes.
6. Stir in the Cheddar cheese and the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese until melted.
7. Pour sauce over each piece of fish.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrient information per serving: 310 calories, 12 grams fat, 3.5 grams saturated fat, 420 mg sodium, 14 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 35 grams protein.
Source: Recipe adapted by Julie Pryer, RD/LD St. John Medical Center