1 packet quick-acting dry yeast
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
½ cup ground flaxseed
1 whole egg
1 cup light soy milk or skim milk
2 Tbsp regular Smart Balance, melted
3 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp molasses
¾ tsp salt
½ cup mixed poppy seeds, flax seeds, and sunflower seeds
¼ cup brown sugar Splenda, packed
Splash of milk
¼ cup Smart Balance light
2-3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1. In a small bowl, activate quick-acting dry yeast with ¼ cup warm water and 1 tsp sugar or honey.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, pour soy milk, honey, molasses, melted regular Smart Balance.
- 3. After yeast has activated (about 5 minutes), add to large mixing bowl, along with 1 egg and the whole wheat pastry flour and ground flaxseed.
- 4. Beat mixture for about 2 minutes, and then gradually add bread flour.
- 5. Mixture can be kneaded for 10-15 minutes by hand or 10 minutes with a dough hook until smooth and elastic.
- 6. Place dough in a bowl and place in a warm area, allowing it to rise. After mixture has doubled in size, punch down dough, cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 7. While dough is rising, mix cinnamon spread ingredients in a large bowl until smooth.
- 8. Roll dough out into a 12 x 20 inch rectangle. Spread a thin layer of smear over the dough.
- 9. Roll up the dough and then cut into 14 rolls that are about 2 finger widths wide.
- 10. Place rolls in a large baking pan, cover with a warm damp towel until rolls begin to rise slightly.
- 11. Bake in a 375°F oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden.
Yield: 14 rolls
Nutrition information per serving: 229 calories, 6 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 8 g total fat with 1.4 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 4.6 g dietary fiber, 186 mg sodium
Exchanges per serving: 2 starches, 1 fat
Source: Recipe by Marianne Wetherill, RD/LD St. John Medical Center