Keeping Warm And Keeping Safe


Wednesday, November 7th 2007, 3:48 pm
By: News On 6


It’s that time of year. Home heating season is getting underway and families are urged to use caution. A floor furnace is being blamed for an overnight fire that caused quite a bit of smoke damage. It happened at a home near 49th and Peoria in Tulsa.

A Tulsa Police officer driving by saw smoke and called the fire department. No one was home at the time, so no one was hurt.

Tulsa Fire Department officials say you have to be careful with all heating sources, but floor furnaces are especially dangerous.

“Floor furnaces are inherently unsafe they don't even manufacture them anymore. Some insurance companies offer incentives to abandon those and get rid of them,” said Tulsa Fire Captain Larry Bowles.

Fire Captain Larry Bowles was a guest on Six In The Morning on Wednesday and talked about fire safety. Click here to watch that video.

The Tulsa Fire Department responded to about a dozen overnight fires that were heater related.

Watch the video: Winter Heater Safety

Related story:

11/7/2007 Overnight House Fires Keep Firefighters Busy