Woman Awarded Millions After Strip Search
Friday, October 5th 2007, 2:33 pm
By: News On 6
SHEPHERDSVILLE, Ky. (AP) A jury awarded $6.1 million on Friday to a woman who said she was forced to strip in a McDonald's back office after someone called the restaurant posing as a police officer.
Louise Ogborn, 21, had sued McDonald's Corp., claiming the fast-food giant failed to warn her and other employees about the caller who already struck other McDonald's stores and other fast-food restaurants across the country.
Louise Ogborn had been seeking $200 million. McDonald's Corp. attorneys argued the company was not responsible and contended the company was being sued because of its deep pockets.
She accused the company of negligence leading up to the events in April 2004, when she was detained for 3 1/2 hours.
In the lawsuit, she said someone called the restaurant in Mount Washington impersonating a police officer and gave a description of a young, female employee, accusing her of stealing from a customer. The caller demanded the woman be strip searched.
Louise Ogborn was forced to undress, endure a strip search, and to perform sexual acts, the lawsuit said. The events were captured on surveillance video, which was shown to jurors during the trial.
A former assistant manager, Donna Summers, was placed on probation for a misdemeanor conviction in relation to the incident. Her former fiancÃ©e, Walter Nix Jr., is serving five years in prison for sexually abusing Ogborn during the 3 1/2-hour search.
A Florida man, David Stewart, was charged with making the hoax phone call, but acquitted last summer. Mount Washington Police have said the calls stopped after Stewart's arrest.