Man In Critical Condition After Building Tar Catches Fire
Sunday, September 16th 2007, 7:11 pm
By: News On 6
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- An Oklahoma City man suffered second-degree burns when he tried to put out a small tar fire.
Fire Department District Chief Larry Rusher says 30-year old James Lee Williams was one of three men doing repair work to a credit union building's roof Saturday morning when the fire occurred.
The men, all workers for Southwestern Roofing and Metal, were heating up tar in a pot on the roof. Rusher says the tar's vapors caught fire, and Williams tried to put the fire out using water.
Rusher says the water caused a chemical reaction that sent fire and hot tar cascading onto Williams' body.
Williams suffered burns over about 30% of his body. An Emergency Medical Services Authority spokesperson says Williams was taken to Integris Baptist Medical Center in critical condition.