Woman Arrested After Bogus Emergency Calls

Sunday, July 1st 2007, 2:44 pm
By: News On 6

STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) -- A Stillwater woman who authorities say made numerous false emergency calls has been arrested and charged after her latest encounter with local police.

Stillwater police records show that Kesha LaTonya Carter, 35, was arrested on June 15. She is charged with one felony count of throwing human waste on a government employee and one felony count of assault and battery upon a detention officer.

Court records show that Carter has pleaded not guilty to the charges. A preliminary hearing in her case is set for Aug. 13 in Payne County District Court.

A call made Saturday night to the office of Carter's court-appointed attorney, Todd Higgins of Stillwater, was not immediately returned.

According to a court affidavit filed by Stillwater police officer Kenneth Higgins, on 26 occasions during the week before her arrest, Carter had called to request police and fire assistance, then refused to talk to officers or firefighters after they had arrived.

According to the affidavit, Stillwater police detained Carter on June 14 on an emergency order and took her to a Stillwater hospital for evaluation, but she was released after it was determined she was not a threat to herself or others.

The next day, she called police and told them she was throwing up blood and thought she was dying, according to the affidavit. Two officers and an ambulance responded to the call, but Carter would not answer the door.

As officers stood at her door signing a citation for causing fire department employees to make a needless run, Carter opened the door and began yelling. Once the complaint was signed, Carter was asked to come out to speak with police, records show.

She refused and tried to close the door. An officer forced his way in, and after Carter was caught, she resisted arrest, and during that struggle and a subsequent one as police placed her into a patrol car, she spit on an officer and screamed profanities, records show.

At the city jail, she bit an officer, according to records.

Court records indicate Carter was released on a personal recognizance bond.