Storm Causing More Than Power Loss For Some Residents

Monday, December 17th 2007, 8:40 pm
By: News On 6

The power outage not only cost thousands of residents their lights, it also may cost some a paycheck. Many are wondering how they're going to make it through the holidays without a week's worth of pay. The News On 6’s Ashli Sims reports there is a way to recover lost wages. Viewers have flooded The News On 6 with emails and all of those emails have one thing in common, is there help for those who couldn't work because of the ice storm?

The lights went out at one physical therapy clinic early last Monday.

"I thought they'd be back on by Monday evening or Tuesday morning," said Owner Steve Kabrick.

A couple of hours stretched into a couple of days and now a week's gone by. Kabrick sweeps through his darkened clinic with a flashlight and a mounting sense of anxiety. Without power, the clinic can't serve its patients and he also has ten employees to consider.

"With no income coming in there's no way to pay the employees. It's a huge issue and we have not decided what exactly we can do for the employees," said Kabrick.

Kabrick says the timing for the disaster and the hit to the wallet couldn't be worse.

"It is the holidays and it should be a happy, joyous time and I'm just kinda walking around in a funk," said Kabrick.

The Kabrick's and their employees are not alone. The News On 6 has received several emails like this one:

"I work for Tulsa Public Schools and I do not get paid, if I don't work. I honestly don't know if I can afford to buy my three sons any Christmas gifts. Can you please help me?"

If you couldn't work for part or all of last week, you can file for unemployment. Just dial 1-800-555-1554 or log on to Oklahoma's Unemployment Insurance. If you qualify, you could receive a check to help you through the holidays.

If you're self-employed like Steve Kabrick you may not qualify for unemployment, but there may still be light at the end of this week-long, dark tunnel.

If your county is declared a major disaster by President Bush, then you may be able to qualify for Disaster Unemployment Assistance or DUA. That's only if a major disaster declaration is made and so far that hasn't happened.

If you need help making ends meet, the first call you should make is to 211. They can direct you to several agencies that might be able to help you.

The people at John 3:16 offer a meal every day at 6:00 p.m.

Watch the video: Help May Be Available To Those With Lost Wages

For more information on Oklahoma's Unemployment Insurance, click here.