Police Offer Tips to Avoid Being Scammed
Saturday, December 15th 2007, 3:53 pm
By: News On 6
Because of the recent bad weather the Tulsa Police Department would like to remind citizens to be aware of scams. During times like this criminals will target the elderly and the most vulnerable in our society. The police department would like to give a few tips to avoid being scammed.
- Never allow strangers inside your home
- Ask "officials" to produce identification and confirm their alleged
- Contact the utility company by telephone if any employee wants to enter
your home, or request you to go outside with him/her
- Beware of unsolicited home repairmen
If you do request services:
- Check with Better Business Bureau
- Ask for references and call them
- Get several repair estimates and compare prices (if possible)
- Be suspicious of high pressure tactics
- Write down the license plate number of any suspicious vehicle(s) the suspect(s) may be operating
- Talk with a trusted friend or relative before making major money decisions (if possible)
- Pay by check so you can stop payment if dissatisfied.
- If possible never pay cash.
- If you do pay cash don't pay up-front