Some Toys Can Be More Dangerous Than Fun


Thursday, November 29th 2007, 4:14 pm
By: News On 6


Some of the hottest gifts this holiday could be dangerous. The News On 6’s Joshua Brakhage reports it is the season for shopping; but even in all the excitement, officials are sending a warning signal to parents. Seeing a pile of presents under the tree may be a kids Christmas dreams come true; consumer advocates say they can be a parent's nightmare.

"They're all representative of some greater hazard that you're going to find in toys that parents just need to watch out for,” said consumer watchdog, Kathleen McGeehen.

Too much Hello Kitty lip balm can be toxic and a dog's leash poses a strangulation danger. What kid could resist imitating Johnny Depp's swashbuckling with a Pirates of the Caribbean sword. The popular Disney Princess dolls pose a choking hazard.

"The toy that I brought with me for choking hazards is obviously not the only one. There are so many toys with small parts. But it is representative of toys that have, you know, really small, like little shoes that go with the dolls and things like that," said Kathleen McGeehen.

Magnets not only pose a choking hazard, but the watchdog group says if kids swallow magnets, they can cause tissue damage, infection, and even death.

Aquadots were one of the top picks this Christmas, until they were pulled from store shelves. The pea-sized dots are coated in a chemical similar to the date-rape drug, and kids who swallowed them ended up in comas.

The group says most toys are safe as long as parents follow age guidelines set out by manufacturers, but they say it's better to be safe than sorry this Christmas.

Watch the video: Some Toys More Dangerous Than Fun

Check out our link for the Top 10 Dangerous Toys.