Three die in Weatherford house fire believed caused by space heaters


Friday, December 28th 2001, 12:00 am
By: News On 6



WEATHERFORD, Okla. (AP) _ A mother and her two children died in a house fire early Friday, while the father was able to escape.

Investigators believe the 12:30 a.m. fire was caused by a space heater placed too close to a couch, said Richard Cooper, spokesman for the state Fire Marshal's office.

The father was able to escape by jumping from an upstairs window onto a porch.

Authorities identified the family members killed in the fire as Brenda Gail Harris, 41; her son, Michael R. Henderson, 11; and daughter Wendy M. Henderson, 12.

They were found dead in the same upstairs room. Cooper said it appeared the son was trying to get out of an upstairs window.

There were five smoke detectors in the home, but none of them had a working battery.