Overnight fire at Central High causes little damage


Tuesday, December 4th 2001, 12:00 am
By: News On 6


Tulsa Fire crews were busy when smoke alarms sounded at a Tulsa high school. Firefighters responded to a fire alarm at Central High School just after 11 o'clock Monday night.

They arrived to find the school full of smoke. Crews quickly got things under control, but had some trouble finding the cause of the fire. Tulsa Fire Department Chief Greg Neely, "after about 30 minutes of searching it was concluded that the source of the smoke was the boiler room. One of the boiler room caps had blown off creating a significant amount of radiant heat inside the boiler room."

Firefighters say the heat ignited some wood in the boiler room, and smoke was sucked into the heating system and filled the school. There was no significant damage, and school was open for business Tuesday.