Firefighter, man burned when gasoline cans ignite

Monday, June 3rd 2002, 12:00 am
By: News On 6

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) _ A firefighter and another man were burned Sunday morning after the man used a cigarette lighter to check the level of gasoline in his generator, authorities said.

A southwest Oklahoma City resident was using gas-powered generators while his electricity was out, said fire Maj. Brian Stanaland. The man, whose name was not released, used the flame of his cigarette lighter to see the gas levels in one of the portable generators at about 2:30 a.m.

``Of course, it ignited on him,'' Stanaland said. ``I think people don't realize it's not the liquid that ignites. It's the fumes.''

The resident's hands were burned and his garage and house were engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, Stanaland said. Then firefighters accidentally kicked over a can of gas in the garage, further igniting the blaze.

One firefighter was burned on his leg. He was treated at an Oklahoma City hospital and released back to duty, Stanaland said.

The resident also was treated at the hospital

The blaze caused $2,000 in damage to the garage and $500 to the home, Stanaland said.