Travolta's Scientology Epic Takes Top Razzie Honors
Tuesday, March 27th 2001, 12:00 am
By: News On 6
On Friday, on the other side of Los Angeles, another film industry awards ceremony took place.
But this one wasn't quite as complimentary as the Oscars - it was the 21st presentation of the Annual Golden Raspberry awards - or Razzies.
Polling over 93 percent of all nominating ballots cast, the Sci-Fi movie 'Battlefield Earth' won seven of the nine awards, putting it well ahead of its competitors 'Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2' and 'The Next Best Thing' on the foundation's worst-of-2000 list unveiled at a news conference Saturday.
``It was actually a cake walk for jurors. 'Battlefield' was truly wretched,'' Golden Raspberry Foundation founder John Wilson said.
The sci-fi turkey scooped the Razzies for worst movie, actor, screen couple, supporting actor, supporting actress, director and screenplay. The only other film to win so many dis-honours is Paul Verhoeven's 1996 bomb 'Showgirls', which has now found new life as a camp sing-a-long classic.
John Travolta's best acting nod was a dual honour, he was also being honoured for his role in the gambling flop 'Lucky Number'.
The Razzie trophy is a gaudy, gold-painted, golf ball-sized plastic raspberry atop a film canister. It's worth $2.47.
Singer and actress Madonna won the Razzie for worst actress for her performance in 'The next best thing' with Rupert Everett.
Adam Sandler 'Little Nicky' which had five nominations, came up empty-handed.
"I'm disappointed that Adam Sandler's movie didn't get anything. It was every bit as wretched as 'Battlefield', Wilson said.
The foundation's 535 voting members include critics, filmgoers and people who work in the entertainment business.
The complete list of Golden Raspberry Foundation dis-honors:
- Worst picture: Battlefield Earth.
- Worst actor: John Travolta in Battlefield Earth' and Lucky Numbers
- Worst actress: Madonna The Next Best Thing.
- Worst screen couple: John Travolta and Anyone Sharing the Screen with Him in Battlefield Earth.
- Worst supporting actress: Kelly Preston in Battlefield Earth.
- Worst supporting actor: Barry Pepper in Battlefield Earth.
- Worst remake or sequel: Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.
- Worst director: Roger Christian, Battlefield Earth.
- Worst screenplay: Battlefield Earth.