Top women players subpoenaed in Miami trial of accused stalker


Monday, March 26th 2001, 12:00 am
By: News On 6



MIAMI (AP) _ Lindsay Davenport and Venus and Serena Williams have been subpoenaed to testify at the trial of a man accused of stalking tennis star Martina Hingis at a tournament last year, his attorney said Monday.

Hingis is already scheduled to testify at the trial.

Dubravko Rajcevic, a Croatian-born engineer who is now an Australian citizen, is charged with one count of stalking and three counts of trespassing, all misdemeanors.

His trial is to begin Wednesday with jury selection and is expected to run about five days. Hingis is scheduled to testify April 2, one day after this year's Ericsson Open ends.

Rajcevic's lawyer, Frank A. Abrams, said he has issued subpoenas for Davenport and the Williams sisters but he didn't know if the players had yet been served. They are in South Florida to compete in the Ericsson on Key Biscayne.

Abrams said he also had wanted to subpoena Monica Seles and Anna Kournikova but neither are playing in the tournament because of injuries.

Rajcevic, 45, was arrested at last year's Ericsson after security asked him to leave the tournament following a complaint by Hingis' mother.

He returned the next day, was arrested on stalking charges and was released on $1,000 bond. Two days later, he was arrested again after being spotted at the tournament. His bail was upped to $2 million and he has been in custody ever since, refusing offers of release in exchange of promising to stay away from Hingis.

Abrams argues that Rajcevic has made no threats against Hingis. He said Rajcevic has only sent the tennis player love letters and flowers and only wants a romantic relationship with her.