Boston Strangler Evidence Sought
Tuesday, February 20th 2001, 12:00 am
By: News On 6
BOSTON (AP) â€” The family of Albert DeSalvo, the man accused of being the Boston Strangler, and relatives of one of the Strangler's victims went back to court Tuesday, seeking access to evidence in the decades-old case.
The families of DeSalvo and Mary Sullivan, who was considered the Strangler's last victim in 1964, believe DeSalvo wasn't her killer, and they filed a joint lawsuit last year seeking evidence for their own investigation. A federal judge put the lawsuit on hold in December, urging the families and the government to work out an agreement on sharing evidence.
On Tuesday, however, the families' lawyer, Dan Sharp, asked that the lawsuit be reopened. Sharp said state and city authorities had given them ``no cooperation whatsoever.''
``It seems to me the only reasonable explanation is their offices blew the biggest murder investigation in the history of the Boston area,'' he said.
Attorney General Thomas Reilly had no immediate comment. Prosecutors have said they do not release evidence in unsolved murder cases.
The Boston Strangler sexually assaulted and killed 11 women beginning in 1962. DeSalvo confessed to the 11 Strangler murders, plus two others, but was never tried. He was sent to prison for life for another string of rapes and sexual assaults. DeSalvo recanted his confession before he was stabbed to death in prison in 1973.
Prosecutors have agreed to do DNA tests on evidence in the Sullivan slaying. But the families want to do their own testing as well.