District 4A-3 Football Preview
Tuesday, August 22nd 2000, 12:00 am
By: News On 6
Six Players to Watch
1. Bubba Carlisle- Collinsville- Offensive Lineman- Massive size at 6â€™6â€, 340 lbs. Most every college wants to ink this guy. His real name is Charles. He goes by Bubba. Iâ€™d call him Mr. Carlisle.
2. Micah Stinnett- Grove- Wide Receiver- 6â€™4â€ 218 lbs. Plays h-back, thatâ€™s a combination of tight end and wide receiver, for the Ridgerunners. Heâ€™ll likely be a tight end in college.
3. Chad Palm- Jay- Wide Receiver- 6â€™3â€ 195 lbs. Combination of size and speed. Great hands and good route runner.
4. Joe Ferguson- Grove- Quarterback- Check out these stats: 2,000 yards passing, 18 tdâ€™s and 63% completions. For many guys thatâ€™s a career, for him it was just a nice junior year.
5. Tommy Duncan- Skiatook- Linebacker- Led the team in tackles in â€™99. Will also play QB in 2000.
6. Craig Williams- Miami- Running Back- 5â€™9â€ 180 lbs. Rushed for nearly 1,200 yards in â€™99.
Six â€œCanâ€™t Missâ€ Games
1. September 1st- Miami at Glenpool- First game of the season should pit two of 4Aâ€™s top ten teams. For Miami itâ€™s the beginning of a murderous stretch to open the season. Glenpool- Ft. Gibson- Bixby
2. September 15th- Grove at Vinita- Great QB match-up between Ferguson of Grove and Jermaine Landrum of Vinita.
3. November 3rd- Skiatook at Collinsville
4. August 31st- Claremore at Oologah
5. September 15th- Catoosa at Collinsville
6. September 15th- Jay at Nowata
Head Coach: Lance West
Last Year: 9-3
Strength: Here are the respective weights of the five starting offensive linemen: 340, 275, 265, 240, 225. That sounds more like a service academy than a high school team.
Question Mark: Must replace Brett Francis at QB.
Outlook: Whoever that replacement is will get plenty of time in the pocket. Cardinals are poised for a big run at state.
Head Coach: Bob Homer
Last Year: 4-6
Strength: Thereâ€™s a ton of experience at skill positions. Starting QB, RB and two WRâ€™s return from â€™99.
Question Mark: Consistency. The Wardogs looked like world-beaters at times last year.
Outlook: If theyâ€™ll break the trend of playing down to the level of the competition, Miami could make lots of noise.
Head Coach: Jarrett hurt
Last Year: 8-3
Strength: Tons of seniors return from last yearâ€™s playoff squad.
Question Mark: The only position hit hard by graduation was offensive line. Only one starter returns.
Outlook: If big juniors and sophomores can block a playoff spot is likely.
Head Coach: Shane Holland
Last Year: 6-6
Strength: Defensive Line. Micah Miller and Micah Stinnett may be best end combo outside of 6A.
Question Mark: Lost all four starters from last yearâ€™s secondary.
Outlook: Four teams will battle for the last two playoff spots in this district. Grove will be one of the four.
Head Coach: Rocky Kime
Last Year: 5-6
Strength: Good team speed and solid returning backfield.
Question Mark: Defense was hit hard by graduation, especially the line.
Outlook: Teams still fear the Mustangs and rightly so.
Head Coach: Eddie Barnwell
Last Year: 3-7
Strength: Return every starter to every skill position on offense.
Question Mark: Three seniors graduated from the defensive line.
Outlook: If they can stop the run, theyâ€™ll be in the hunt for a playoff berth.
Head Coach: Jeff Streun
Last Year: 1-9
Strength: Average 235 pounds per man on the offensive line.
Question Mark: Lost QB Dusty Alexander.
Outlook: A solid replacement at QB could pull off a surprise or two.
Head Coach: Steve Jarboe
Last Year: 1-9
Strength: Lots of seniors and a big line. OL Josh Woolman (6â€™4â€, 280 lbs.) is getting looks from several Big 12 schools.
Question Mark: Not much speed at the skill positions.
Outlook: Jarboe will begin his rebuilding project with a lot of good underclassmen.
Class A Districts
Class 2A Districts
Class 3A Districts
Class 4A district 4
Class 4A district 2: Thursday, August 24
Class 5A district 4: Friday, August 25
Class 5A district 3: Monday, August 28
Class 6A district 4: Tuesday, August 29
Class 6A district 3: Wednesday, August 30