Y2K & Your Credit

Tuesday, November 23rd 1999, 12:00 am
By: News On 6

With Y2K around the corner, many financial planners say you should get your papers in order, including your credit report. If you use credit cards or have loans, then you have a credit history.

You should check your credit report at least once a year to make sure the information is accurate. If there are errors, you can send a written dispute to the credit reporting agency. "Basically if you send the dispute through the credit reporting agency they will send that to the creditor and the creditor has 30 days to respond to that dispute,” said consumer credit counseler Meredith Exline.

If the creditor doesn't respond within 30 days, the credit reporting agency will remove the item from your record. There are three credit reporting agencies, Experian, Equifax and Trans Union. For addresses, phone numbers and information on how to read your file, call Consumer Credit Counseling at (918) 744-5611.